Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Reflections

Little tidbits of 2010:

January-April:

- Rang in the New Year with some friends from church and their family. It was a little awkward though because I didn’t realize I was the only non-relative invited. They’re like family, but being the only person with no traceable family relationship was a little weird. I learned it’s not as much fun ringing in the new year with couples when you’re single. It was still good times all round.

- My parents went to Korea for a wedding. I took care of the dog. She got sick. Not as sick as she did when my parents went to China, but it still was gross.

- Got hired by VANOC to work during the Olympics – from January till March. It was a bit of a fiasco since I didn’t start until the end of January when I was really supposed to start Jan. 4, and they told me I’d be working at Athlete’s Village, which would have been AMAZING, but really I got to work at the (not so) Quality Inn in Surrey. Major letdown. But the pay and the perks were good, even though the hours were terrible.

- Played piano for a friend’s wedding on Jan. 23. I also got to perform a little at the reception with Ethan Vanderleek. We did some background music while people were coming in to sit down, and we also performed the music for the first dance and the father-daughter dance. It was a great time, and my first time singing solo in public.

- One perk of working for the Olympics – the VANOC invitational Opening Ceremonies Dress Rehearsal. I got to see everything from the opening ceremonies except the torch lighting. It was so amazing seeing it in person – way better than on the TV.

- Another perk of working for VANOC was my accreditation pass which got me into venues (I only had it for the Paralympics). I got to sit in athlete’s seating for some sledge hockey games, and they were great!

- Went to many free concerts during the Olympics: Dan Mangan, Sam Roberts Band, Hot Hot Heat, Said the Whale, Mother Mother...

- I turned 23

- Mexico Mission Trip with my church in March. I got to drive a lot of the way. Driving is the best. No joke. I also helped with leading the music in Mexico for the VBS program

May – August:

- Took summer classes to finish off my BSc degree in Kin

- Worked at The Right Shoe

- Went to Creation Fest with a group from church. Included concerts by: Switchfoot, David Crowder, Hillsong Live, Newsboys and many, many more

- Went camping with the Young Adults from church. We almost got kicked out of the campsite for being too noisy at night. We brought 3 guitars, a drum, a ukulele, and an egg shaker. We got in trouble when singing a hymn. No joke. It was Trees of the Field.

- World Cup Soccer! Need I say more. Highlight for me – The Netherlands vs. Brazil game. SO GOOD!

- Hiked Joffre Lakes with my siblings and my dad. It was not an easy hike, so I was definitely proud of my 60-year-old dad for keeping up with us... for the most part.

- Saw Michael Buble in concert!!! Actually, he walked right past me. I wanted to make this a photo highlight reel, but my old laptop died and I lost most of my photos for now, but I do have a picture for this one:



September – December:

- Got hired by Paris Orthotics – a co-op job, so I’m not officially graduating until next June (2011)

- Walked the Stanley Park Seawall with my mom on a super rainy September Saturday. We were the only walkers on the wall. There were a few die-hard runners and
cyclists as well. We felt hard core. Actually, we are hard core.

- Went to Passion Vancouver in November with some friends. Over 10,000 young adults prising God in the same place. It was simply amazing.

- Went snowshoeing with my mom and brother after Christmas. The weather was stunning. This has become a Boersma family tradition, for whoever can make it.



Well, that’s all I could come up with for this year. I’m sure I forgot a bunch of stuff, oh well. Looking forward to a fabulous 2011!!

Happy New Year!!!

Boersma

No comments: