Friday, April 21, 2006

Take the Plunge

Well, i did it. I made it through my first year of university with scars to prove it. Today was my last final and I now begin the longest summer holidays of my life. Will I get bored? probably. With a dead-end job at McDonald's which I'm hoping to can upon the acceptance to a new work place, and the lack of my favourite hockey team in the playoffs (that's the Canucks by the way) I'm stuck watching hours of playoff hockey that could bore you to tears. For example, the Flames vs. the Ducks game today...it wasnt even exciting! Why do I put myself through the torture of watching teams that knocked my "home-boys" out of the playoff race (how I loathe them) well it's quite simple really. This year I've discovered a beautiful thing called a hockey pool. All you have to do is select your ultimate roster, watch them rock and then rake in the prizes...or at least I'm hoping that's what happens. Although, I think I will get the same amount of joy, if not more, from the mere satisfaction of defeating my siblings. Bragging rights are prime and so sweet especially when you lack the "age and maturity" of your older family members. Who am I proud of today? My good budies Joe Thornton, Dany Heatly and Jason Spezza...keep bringing in the gold guys. These guys could sinlge- or triple- handedly win me an ipod (again vain hopes). What sweet sweet victory.

Evidence that I am the coolest first-year at university of all time (and by cool I mean biggest loser):

- turning off the lights in the Bio lab and asking Adana if the power went out, then realizing it was me.
- being the only one in a huge lecture hall laughing when my math prof stated very matter-of-factly that he loves hazlenut truffles. 9you have to know a bit about my prof to know why thats so funny...i'll leave you guessing)
- falling up the stairs...twice...in a row...ya im a loser
- having the doors of the skytrain close on my backpack
- hitting a prof in the shoulder (there's a story behind that, I dont just go around hitting people)

and soooo many more

ya so thats about it. Yay for summer vacation and 3 cheers for playoffs.

boersma...out!

4 comments:

Lynn Webb said...

You make me laugh... I cant wait until all the stories when I get home!!! 7 weeks!

Lauren Heinen said...

yay!!!! you made it elly. congratulations...enjoy mcdonalds...and the lack of canucks in the playoffs haha.. well i figured out that if they were to make it into the very last game it would be 100 and something hrs of tv or something insane like that (i forget the exact number...to much philsophy info taking up my brain space)...so just imagine how much you could get done in that time now that they're out. nah i would still rather watch. haha, well enjoy your summer!

Kingma said...

Elly I love it! especially with the lights! You're great...hope you're doing well
Jen Kingma

Anonymous said...

yay we're done!!!...well you are, i start summer semester in 2 weeks:(
we are by far the coolest university students ever:P (haha you know you're cool when you spend friday night in the biology wing so you can avoid saturday morning transit-or lack there of-to make it to your calc exam on time. honestly, who in their right mind, schedules an exam for 8:30am the saturday of the easter weekend?!?!?!?!)
so yah, 4 months off school for you. you'll miss the hours upon hours wasted in the caf i know you will:P