Sunday, April 16, 2006

Jesus, dont let me forget you

"'We are punished justly for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.'Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.'
Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paridise.'"

Luke 23:41-43

"The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, heard his cry and saw how he died, he said, 'Surely this man was the Son of God!'"

Mark 15:38-40

Was Jesus forgetful? The request of the man on the cross next to Christ seemed to think so as he poses his request..."Jesus, remember me." A request I'm sure we can all relate to. We don't want to be forgotten by God and no matter how much God assures us He knows us each by name, we still need the affirmation that He wont forget about us. Somehow, I dont see this being likely. Jesus was Lord of the lowlifes, the tax collectors, sinners, prostitutes, you name it. He seeked these people out and treated them with respect, the criminal on the cross included.
I think there is a bit of that criminal in all of us. We follow the crowd and hurl insults at others like snowballs. But then we step back and think, hey wait, this isn't right. Im sorry God, please remember me. Dont forget about me.

We have little to worry about when it comes to God remembering us. He knows every detail about us. It would be like a father forgetting he ever had a child. But what if we turn the statement around? "Jesus, help me not forget you when you come into your kingdom."

Just somthing to think about.

Easter side note:

For those wondering, yes, my mom did offer to hide the easter eggs for us yet again, it's actually kind of amusing. And yes, I am the youngest in my family...the oldest is 24...too old for an easter egg hunt with the same hididng spots in the living room as the past decade? Tell that to my mom (who is an elementary school teacher, if that explains anything). Maybe my family's just wierd, but i get chocolate out of it, i just have to work for it.

till next time

boersma

1 comment:

Lynn Webb said...

Elly, you are amazing, and your family is not weird at all. I love your mom and her cleverness to hide them in the same spot. Maybe she thought you would look elsewhere since she has already hidden it there.... she is too smart for you! Hehe... Love ya girl... Cant wait to see you soon!