Friday, June 26, 2009

A House To Myself

This morning I rolled out of bed, rubbed my eyes, grabbed a sweater and the car keys, loaded the car with luggage and drove my parents to the airport. Oh ya, did I mention it was 2am! Today my parents left for almost a month of travel in China. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. For me, I am in the heart of the summer semester at SFU. Knee deep in homework, struggling my way through the warm, sunny midterms, grasping for a taste of summer vacation. Mine will come in August when I have two weddings to party all night at within a week of each other.

With the parents gone, the house feels vacant. I came home today praying the dog hadn't peed on the carpet, or worse. She had been left indoors all day because I was at school - all day. Every creak, every strange noise, whenever the dog barks, I perk up more than normal, suspecting the worse, and finding my imagination getting the best of me, yet again. This little taste of living on my own is a great feeling.

My dad left me with a eulogy he wrote for my grandma, just in case if something happens when they're gone. My grandma has been sick for a while, dealing with Alzheimer's disease. It has to be one of the worst and hardest ways to go in my opinion, both for the one who has it as well as for their family. My grandma doesn't recognize me anymore as her granddaughter, and that's a really hard thing to take. I've always connected really well with my grandma, we have a lot in common, and it's hard not having that same sort of connection anymore. The point of this story is, I offered to read what my dad wrote at the funeral, if it happens when they're gone. It would be really hard, but I know it would mean something to me as well as my dad. I pray that she can live at least until my parents come home, and that God will take her peacefully and painlessly home.

I'm off to bed because I am exhausted. More to come in the future.

Elly

No comments: