Friday, March 31, 2006

Evolve This!

Well...I'm almost done my first year of university (1 week left of classes) and that means I have nearly survived 1 semester of BIO 102.

If you can read this picture kudos to your eyes, if not here's the low-down. This is the result of a very boring class, Elly needing to vent, and a sudden urge to learn to write left-handed. Of all the courses I've taken in my university career (there hasn't been many - 8?) this has got to be the worst. You see, this course is all about ecology and evolution, 2 topics I have little to no interest in studying in depth.

I must say though, studying evolution from a non-creationist perspective has gotten me really thinking about my worldview about how and if evolution really takes place, and if so, why? It's interesting to see how the process of evolution scientificly is very similar to the "days" of creation. I'm not gonna get into the whole evolution thing here 'cause I think that would just make a long post even longer.
We have discussions in labs on evolution and it's interesting because at my table in the lab, there's a Muslim, a Hindu, 2 atheists, and me, so we get a variety of opinions and a pretty good debate. Even with this, this class bores me to death and I am barely passing, but hopefully i can pull it together cus this lab is needed for bio majors. If i dont pass....bring on the Kinesiology baby! It's way more fun anyway.
highlights of bio 102:
watching fighting fish go at it
touching a praying mantis - those are wierd bugs!
playing with neanderthal skuls - "dont we look alike?"
aaaaaaaand nothing else comes to mind. 3 months and thats all i had to show for it

boersma out!

p.s. Embarassing Moment!!
So I met my friend nici in the hallway one day and we were talking about my Kinesiology anatomy exam coming up where we have to know bones muscles etc as well as joint movements. So here we are in the SFU hallway doing horizontal flexion (taking extended arm and moving it so your upper arm touches your chest) and I was like "oh ya and there's horizontal extension" as I am saying this, I move my arm so it is pointing horizontally away from me. At this very moment one of the SFU profs walks by and I end up just wailing him in the shoulder. He didnt even flinch! He just kept on walking and I was just like "sorry" and then we burst out laughing. So funny, but so embarrassing, luckily in a school that big, he shouldnt remember me enough to hold a grudge. Phew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh elly, you're my favourite:P

Stewart said...

i hope you whacked him hard... he probably deserved it anyway :) just kidding elly. good to see bio102 didn't actually equal death...